85% attenuation with cal ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine that went from 1.092 to 1.012. Used a third generation wlp001 repitch. It's at day 15 and tastes green but doesn't have the obvious off flavors that I'd expect from a wild yeast getting that much of an influence.
Question is, has anyone had cal ale over perform to this extent after a few generations? The other two beers it fermented never showed any signs of contamination and one is still pouring and tastes fine.
Just seems odd. I'll be making ever clear with this stuff soon....

Recipe? Also, depends on the previous brews you used this yeast on. If you brew progressively higher gravities with the same yeast it will become accustomed to higher gravities and attenuate better than the first generation yeast.

93% MO, 4.2% C40, and 2.8% honey malt. I mashed at 150 for 90 minutes. I was intending to make as fermentable a wort as possible, but really thought I would need to help the yeast with such a big beer.
The first beer was a cream ale. It went from 1.050 to 1.008. It had raw sugar and flaked corn in the grist so those numbers seem normal. The second was a pale ale that went from 1.049 to 1.008. That beer had no simple sugars so I suspect that attenuation is actually more impressive and maybe does point towards a trend.

Back