What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
96CA2332-5A9E-40F0-8C88-CA3A9ECC9BAD.jpeg

Stepped up my yeast starter and washed bottles.

1). Put my new Ferroday to use, grinding 10 lbs of malt for an Orange AF pale ale.
2). Bottled my wife's b-day blueberry ale.

Attachments

• 20220402_112133.jpg
    20220402_112133.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220402_112146.jpg
    20220402_112146.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220402_112148.jpg
    20220402_112148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220402_112743.jpg
    20220402_112743.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220402_113133.jpg
    20220402_113133.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Racked the mead I made a few weeks ago into another fermenter to clear out some more. Nothing else other than napping and sipping on the two currently on tap, and considering kegging the lager in the ferment fridge. Also might mill up a batch of Caribou Slobber to brew tomorrow during another work from home day. Tried that once before (brewing during work) and it was almost a disaster, but that was before I started BIAB. If I get everything set up the night before I can knock out a BIAB brewday in less than 4 hours including cleaning. Work is boring. Brewing is fun.

Cascade hops, officially planted (lower mound in the photo). As you can see, the soil is basically Georgia clay. Added soil conditioner and top soil so the rhizomes have half a chance. Need to add chicken wire to stop deer from eating the shoots. They won't like hops but they won't know that until they've chewed on it.
20220403_162743.jpg

Pressure transferred the first batch fermented in 6 gal. Torpedo kegs. Used Flotit 2.0 floating dip tubes. Dry hop was a pound of Citra pellets (1/2 pound in each keg). After a 4 day cold crash transferred great with zero clogging/hop issues.

Attachments

• B890AFDB-2764-489E-A9E6-CEDA85C10362.jpeg
    B890AFDB-2764-489E-A9E6-CEDA85C10362.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
I fixed up a beat up kegerator I bought on Craigslist. I replaced the liquid and gas lines, the tower (it was a single tap and now it’s 2), put in a manifold, used an external Inkbird temperature controller and wired it so that the internal thermostat is bypassed. Prior to all that, it wouldn’t cool below 42 degrees. Now it cools easily to 34-35. It’s keeping my other dual tap kegerator company…the current t one needed a friend. Now I have to brew some more so that I can keep all four taps flowing at all times. First World problems I guess.
F6B14DC8-1874-4D6F-BB96-53C6D37F3C8B.jpeg
FAAEBC68-DF39-43CA-AC4C-A15330F91527.jpeg
EB3D4514-FE4E-4447-A549-ED263D2746FC.jpeg

Cascade hops, officially planted (lower mound in the photo). As you can see, the soil is basically Georgia clay. Added soil conditioner and top soil so the rhizomes have half a chance. Need to add chicken wire to stop deer from eating the shoots. They won't like hops but they won't know that until they've chewed on it.
View attachment 764943

A sprout!
20220407_083614.jpg

Was supposed to be planting the Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon that arrived today, but the Cab Sauv was labeled Muscat of Alexandria. Not totally pissed off, as Muscats grow well here (I have three), but then again, I already have 3. That's why I ordered Cab Sauv.

Unless Amazon's supplier can resolve this, it looks like another year wait before I get some tannic red grapes to blend with my sour program. Poopies.

Today (4/2) I'm brewing a honey wheat. Waiting on the whirlpool then chill it down with my new plate chiller (Duda Diesel 40 plate). Can't wait to try that out.
Kegging day while listening to RUSH R40 live. Two kegs, one of which will become a Bourbon Cherry after some time in the secondary. Should be a great day!

Yesterday moved back into the kegerator a keg of very sub-par Kolsch (had a tartness that may have been acetaldehyde) that I had in the house for a week to offgas and learn its lesson; quick taste before carbing reveals the tartness is gone, but it's a bit oxidized. No matter, it's not horrible and will replace the lager that I've been drinking the last few days, so I have enough left for competition. Tapped that lager on Wednesday and the keg is already almost half gone; think the husband has been sneaking it when I'm not looking. Today brewing up a Citra Pale that will go to the same competition.

Brewed a California Common today. Sort of a spur of the moment brew. I had a couple of other things to do but they were tasks that I could complete while I was waiting on the mash, waiting on the boil, etc. Started about 2:30 and just finished cleaning up, but I got a lot done and made beer at the same time.

Five and a half gallons into the fermenter at .050.
00A2532F-A948-43D3-9FF4-806E8424401D.jpeg

Almost out of HB and my brewing area is slowly being renovated so no brewing in the near future. So I ordered a Sanke coupler. I'll let the pro's fill my fridge for the time being.
I feel your pain. Been living in a temporary rental untill we get to move into a new home. We finally get to move in at the end of April and I have big plans for a new electric brewery. So I've been buying sixtels of my favorite craft beers and enjoying having them on tap.

Went to the LHBS to drop of a boat load of my wife's empty wine bottles and pick up new hoses and supplies for a couple of upcoming brews. Then picked up a few different beers to have later this week. Really looking forward to trying the 2 on the left for the first time.
IMG_20220412_175518950.jpg

Last edited:
Today I cleaned 7 kegs with PBW, rinse, acid rinse, all o-rings lubed. I also kegged my Hoppy Czech Pilsner!

View attachment 765647
Curious about the acid rinse section of your maintenance program. Is that for passivation, or beerstone?

Interested to learn more...also, thanks for the reminder that I need to lube the posts on my O-rings. It's been a while.

Curious about the acid rinse section of your maintenance program. Is that for passivation, or beerstone?

Interested to learn more...also, thanks for the reminder that I need to lube the posts on my O-rings. It's been a while.

Absolutely, I use Hot PBW (alkaline) first, then after you are done soaking or using a pump to circulate the PBW I use the same temp Hot water to rinse the kegs (and fermenters for that matter). Then after the Hot rinse I usually spray Star San inside the walls of the keg (or fermenter), this is the acid rinse. Then leave the Star San as this will dry (on the keg or fermenter walls) and or collect in the bottom of the keg. You can store it that way until you need the keg for next time. I do sanitize the keg (and fermenter) right before I need to use them again.

Doing this with both Hot PBW and the Hot water rinse will really help to ward off beer stone. You may see a rainbow type of streak marks on your stainless kegs or fermenters. This process will eliminate that. I had spoken to a rep at Five Star a long time ago and this is what they told me to do. It really works. If you have beer stone already you can buy their beer stone remover and use that as well, and then do this regime when you clean and it will keep it at bay. Hope this helps.

John

Latest posts

Back