Yeast Energizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Long time beer brewer, first time mead brewer here... My LHBS carries yeast energizer, but not Fermaid-k or DAP. Can I use the energizer in place of those two? I was hoping to get some mead started this weekend, but would wait if its a better option to get the appropriate items.

Yes. Follow the directions on the energizer. You will also need Yeast Nuitrient. Nutrient is food, energizer is coffee.

I would also attempt to steer you away from the DAP. IT has fallen out of favor with the Mead-Heads. Fermaid-O is the latest yeast happy additive.

Yes. Follow the directions on the energizer. You will also need Yeast Nuitrient. Nutrient is food, energizer is coffee.

I would also attempt to steer you away from the DAP. IT has fallen out of favor with the Mead-Heads. Fermaid-O is the latest yeast happy additive.

Oh. Fermaid-O? How many letters do they have? Thanks for putting it in lay-mans terms for me. Actually really helps.

Ummm... Fermaid A,O, K, K (kosher), 2133 (SIY33)

Fermaid O is the organic version of K. It also doens't contain any DAP.
If you want to get really fancy, I do O and K at pitch, and then just O at 1/4,1/2, and 3/4 or 1 week ( which ever is first,) but I'm also using Ale yeasts.

Are you certain that O and K are equivalents? If you use K , don't you need to add DAP because K does not have any of the organic nitrogen the yeast need. DAP contains urea (and so has ammonia and so has nitrogen (and phosphates)) You could also use beer nutrient which I think has most or all the trace elements that yeast need.

No, O and K are not equivalents. Sorry, I could have done a better job of stating that.

They are both yeast nutrients. O can be used in place of K, but you need to use more. Also O doesn't contain DAP, but in my mind that is for the most part a good thing.

Latest posts

Back