Corny Keg Showdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Corny Keg Brand (if price wasn't a factor)

• AEB (Italian)

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Kegland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old Ale

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • AMCYL

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Torpedo

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Komos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
I have all ball lock kegs, single handle and the dual handle rubber tops. Many still have the "property of Pepsi" stickers. Keep them clean and rebuild when necessary, not much else to do.

I have since taken some of the single handled ones and used for emergency water storage. They have come in hand during our more frequent power outages.
That's a great idea. I was only using them for emergency (and non-emergency) beer storage. I guess I should have a keg or two of water ready to go.

4~5 drops of fresh unscented bleach (containing 4~6% sodium hypochlorite) per gallon of water will do that job...

Cheers!
Yes, from what I have read the bleach trick is safe for water storage as well as a product called water preserver drops. It claims to be safe for five plus years.

The keg needs to be sanitized too. I tag mine with the fill date and rotate them every year so I don't have "old" water.

I keep four five gallon kegs for emergency water. Also I have a large supply of emergency beer and my battery bank keeps that cooler running.

There were multiple manufacturers much further back than that of both ball (Pepsi) and pin lock (Coke) style kegs. Also oval race track lids and other lid configurations.
For true!
I got a lot of used kegs where one liquid line was too long for that keg and got flared at the bottom when it was compressed. Cutting that off with a dremel by feel to remove it was quite an adventure.

Definitely better options today for new kegs but years ago there were zero. Used kegs were all there was if you wanted bulk storage/serving. Luckily the design has remained the same. Lots of connection options that work for my forty year old kegs as well as the 2024 vintage ones.

Definitely better options today for new kegs but years ago there were zero. Used kegs were all there was if you wanted bulk storage/serving. Luckily the design has remained the same. Lots of connection options that work for my forty year old kegs as well as the 2024 vintage ones.
That's for sure. Once the soda companies went to boxed syrup there was a massive decades long glut of used kegs out there with only so many homebrewers using them. It was getting harder and harder to pick up anything in nice shape. It's good to see there are more readily available new kegs. I've seen references of these types of kegs used in some chemical capacity but have no idea where. They were also used in portable eye wash stations but seemed ridiculously priced. I've got 10 and 15 gallon kegs in very nice shape going that route but generally they are overpriced used as part of an eye wash station.

That's for sure. Once the soda companies went to boxed syrup there was a massive decades long glut of used kegs out there with only so many homebrewers using them. It was getting harder and harder to pick up anything in nice shape. It's good to see there are more readily available new kegs. I've seen references of these types of kegs used in some chemical capacity but have no idea where. They were also used in portable eye wash stations but seemed ridiculously priced. I've got 10 and 15 gallon kegs in very nice shape going that route but generally they are overpriced used as part of an eye wash station.
Yup, on the eye wash station uses. I snagged a ten gallon one from a work project. It was scrap since the eye wash top section was damaged. Being a good guy I took it out of service. The keg was in perfect shape; I replaced the gaskets and the fluid out post.

I also saw ten gallon corny kegs used for painting. I spotted them at a hardware store, very pricey but an interesting use.

4~5 drops of fresh unscented bleach (containing 4~6% sodium hypochlorite) per gallon of water will do that job...

Cheers!
Bleach can pit stainless. I think I would rather use a HDPE container for the water than risk my investment in the kegs. City tap water has chlorine already in it, and a bit more wouldn't hurt for long storage, but not in my kegs.

I'm on my own well, my water is filtered and my emergency water storage in SS kegs are only kept for a year then used for outdoor plants and replenished - I think I'm OK unless the end of the world comes, then I won't care about bad water or pitted kegs.

OK, I think we learned a lot here on water storage. Doesn't mater what storage vessel you use as long as it's safe for it's intended purpose.

I only noted it in this thread as a vessel I use and how I do it. Whether a year or twenty-five years be safe and smart about what might be a life saver for you and your loved ones.

My stash has already got me through a week without power. Beer helped as well as a generator and lots of patience! Be safe.

Back