Hiking in UK — what and where to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
Hi! My wife and I have been in the UK for a couple weeks and we’ll be here for a few more while we hike Hadrian’s Wall West to East and then the West Highland Way south to north. What beers should we try and where should we try them to gather intelligence and inspiration for brewing back home?

Cross post from the other thread:

Some suggestions from me:

Twice Brewed in Hexham- they have a taproom and B&B.

Hadrian Border in Newcastle.

Muckle looks decent but I've not tried their beers. Think they're Haltwhistle way.

Holy Goat are in Dundee, some of the best sours and mixed fermentation beers in the world IMO.

There's about half a dozen decent breweries Glasgow way.

Otherworld are out of the way in Dalkeith but plenty of bottle shops in Scotland stock them, they brew some excellent beers.

Also try Glengoyne distillery.

Hi! My wife and I have been in the UK for a couple weeks and we’ll be here for a few more while we hike Hadrian’s Wall West to East and then the West Highland Way south to north. What beers should we try and where should we try them to gather intelligence and inspiration for brewing back home?
When you get up to the Highlands, highly recommend the Black Isle brewery just north of Inverness (they have a bar also serving excellent pizza in Inverness if you can't make it up to the brewery itself), their scotch ale is excellent and Rhode runner is a favourite too.

Stewart Brewing to the south of Edinburgh near to Rosslyn Chapel well worth a visit too- their project 7 beers are often interesting takes on things- the Voss kveik IPA v.2 they have put at the moment is great.

Unfortunately we won’t be getting any farther up than Fort Williams, but we do hope to spend a little time in Edinburgh. Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately we won’t be getting any farther up than Fort Williams, but we do hope to spend a little time in Edinburgh. Thanks for the suggestions!
Well now this is going to sound like I'm on the payroll... But black isle have a second bar in Fort William too!- not been to that one myself but I'm sure it's just as good as the east coast ones- you'll have to try it to let me know!

Made it to Twice Brewed, but unfortunately their tables are all booked for the next four hours they’re open, so no food for us :( , but the Belgian Golden is nice. :)

By the way, Old Vicarage Brewery (and B&B) in Walton was terrific!

The Keelman/Big Lamp Brewing in Newburn was suggested in the other thread. We got there pretty early in the day but It started raining once we were inside so I had an excuse to try the bitter, the brown, and the blonde/golden ale. I enjoyed them all but the brown really knocked my socks off! That was the first brown I’ve seen in the UK.

In Edinburgh now for a couple nights before we start the next and last trail.

Worth a pop into Fierce Beer on rose street while in Edinburgh (in the centre near to tourist bits, Rose street is the parallel street behind princes st).

If you head down to Leith docks to see the Britannia then Moonwake Brewery taproom I think is the best of the breweries that end of town and/ or Pilot Brewery & Cold town Beer near the water of Leith up towards Cannon mills.

If you climb Arthur Seat then be sure to come down on the (north) Meadowbank side and you could stop in at Bellfield brewery to refresh yourself!

Sounds like you're having a great time despite the weather challenges- Edinburgh has been a misty mess the last few days though so you've arrived at a good time - just brightening up now and getting sunnier still through to Friday!

Enjoy the trails

Back