Is it time to toss my kettle sour, or should I ride this one out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
Was planning on brewing a gose...this is my second time kettle-souring; first time went great. This time I accidentally skipped the step of bringing the wort to a boil after mashing/sparging, which I think is where my trouble began. Mashed at 150, sparged at 175, collected 7.2gal of wort in my kettle and let it cool to 110F. Pitched a 4cup 1.040 starter with 8 Swanson Lactobacillus plantarum capsules that had been going for a couple days. Within 12 hours, there was a super thick goopy white layer on top of my wort - I freaked out and skimmed it all off, realizing later that it may have just been a weird Lacto pellicle. Then, another ~6 hours later, something else took hold - looked like a wild yeast (krausen), but it smelled terrible. Not the nice pleasant smell I had gotten from the other kettle sour I did last year. After 6 hours of that krausen and the horrible smell, I decided to bring it to a boil, cool, and re-pitch some more plantarum caps to try and salvage the batch. After cooling from the boil, I checked the pH - 4.2. I took a sample, and it tasted...okay? Slightly tart, but it still smelled pretty bad. I'm now at ~24 hours after pitching the second round, and the wort still smells pretty nasty. I'm thinking that I should toss this batch before I invest more time and money in it; what do you guys think? Thanks!

This time I accidentally skipped the step of bringing the wort to a boil after mashing/sparging, which I think is where my trouble began.
That's my guess too.

I'm now at ~24 hours after pitching the second round, and the wort still smells pretty nasty. I'm thinking that I should toss this batch before I invest more time and money in it; what do you guys think?
That's what I would do. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Just FYI, you always have the option to co-sour with L. plantarum in unhopped beer (pitch Lacto with the yeast, ferment at 65°F+). Plantarum is too hop sensitive to contaminate clean batches (and it's really not hard to kill) so there's actually less risk with this process.

Bummer about the batch.

Latest posts

Back