Why is the yeast in the FV all globular ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheUKbrewer2

Reaction score
I usually get good sedimentation, nothing has changed, SO4 yeast 15 gm per 22 L
3.7% SMASH beer with chinook hops
Only thing I can think of it got to 25-26 C 4 days in to fermentation.
Water treated same as always, AMS and campden tablet
2 tsp AWB and half a gram of MgSO4

1716312971662.png

All astronomy jokes aside, I've have English yeasts go all brainy looking, but I don't think SO4 ever has for me.

its bottled - clumps the size of match heads - very mobile - had to filter through a kleenex tissue....

The one thing I've noted from all the beers I fermented in clear containers is that many will look different even when the same yeast and recipe is used. Now that I'm using a opaque fermenter, that's sort of hidden from me.

I've had the clumpy yeast look many times. Still made great beer!

clumps the size of match heads - very mobile - had to filter through a kleenex
I take it these globules visible at bottling time, and that you used Kleenex to filter during bottling. But I may be misunderstanding.

This is pretty strange, as yeast generally settles to the bottom -- makes me suspect there was something unexpected in the fermenter with your beer. Residue of cleaning agent?

Sibelman - you are correct they were very visible. I use a jug and funnel to bottle, and as I got to the last few litres, the jug was moving them around and they were breaking up into tiny bits - but the kleenex did filter them out. I do not use cleaning agent, just copious amounts of hot water. I have had "unstable" yeast before, but finer particle size. I have also had yeast pancakes that were almost rubber like. Thanks for your response.

Latest posts

Back