NEW Yeast Washing Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
OK, I may not be the first one to recommend this...BUT...

We've all used various methods and pieces of equipment to separate the dregs from the yeast during washing.

I used 1 gal carboys (I call them "jugs") for a number of years, but always had to pay attention when racking sediment-free yeast to another container.

Then I switched to (IMO) a better idea...2 pitchers. Fill one up, let the sediment fall out and pour off the clean yeast to the 2nd container for further breakdown into even smaller containers like the old WLP vials. Worked great...still does.

But, we are always looking for something else. Right?

My mind looked toward the conical fermenters that allow the yeast to drop out and be collected from the bottom.

So, I got to thinking what product is out there that would allow me to drain off the sediment from a washed batch of yeast?

I saw what I was looking for today: A mini-conical: Pancake Batter dispenser! Fill it up, let it set and give the handle a quick pull and release over the sink. The sediment goes right down the drain!

Pancake Batter Dispenser.jpg

This one costs $20. (@Amazon, informational purposes only, not a sales pitch).

I found mine (NEW, same dispenser without the logo) at the Good Will store for $1.88!

EDIT: I MISQUOTED THE PRICE I PAID...IT WAS 88 CENTS NOT $1.88.

Last edited:
As I read the post I thought the same thing until I seen the picture. It seem like that model might have a better seal and would not leak much.

Looks like a clever idea.

I ferment clean wort so there is very little trub at the end of fermentation so I don't wash yeast. I get about two pints of watery slurry that settles to maybe 8 to 10oz of compact slurry total.

Are they water tight? Pancake batter seems more viscous.

Yes, it is water tight. It was the first thing I tried before washing it.

The sealing "disk" is attached to the handle. There is a small ramp on the underside of the sealing disk that pushes the disk up and makes a tight seal when closed (handle not pulled).

It holds 4 cups. The testing I did included several quick pulls and releases. Several pulls released 1 oz of water. No pull reached 2 oz. Naturally, if you keep the handle pulled it will empty completely.

Last edited:
As I read the post I thought the same thing until I seen the picture. It seem like that model might have a better seal and would not leak much.

Looks like a clever idea.

I ferment clean wort so there is very little trub at the end of fermentation so I don't wash yeast. I get about two pints of watery slurry that settles to maybe 8 to 10oz of compact slurry total.

I clean ferment too. I run the wort from the brew pot through a nylon net on the way to the primary. It also aerates the wort at the same time.

The net (held on by plastic clip clothes pins) collects the hops, Irish Moss and Hot/Cold Break material.

I wrote it up from the POV for the people who don't.

For sure a clever idea, I know there are plenty of people that send everything to the fermentor.

Could be useful if you dry hop commando and want to recover the yeast too.

I was think your approach could be used by small batch brewers to collect/separate the last of the wort from the kettle trub if they don't strain it.

For sure a clever idea, I know there are plenty of people that send everything to the fermentor.

Could be useful if you dry hop commando and want to recover the yeast too.

I was think your approach could be used by small batch brewers to collect/separate the last of the wort from the kettle trub if they don't strain it.

I can see it being used that way for some people.

Looks like a good idea for washing. But like others have said, I filter all my wort from the kettle so my fermenter cake is all clean yeast. No washing needed

Looks like a good idea for washing. But like others have said, I filter all my wort from the kettle so my fermenter cake is all clean yeast. No washing needed

I filter too. My wort runs through nylon netting (from the boil pot to the primary).

However, for the new brewers who haven't tried washing yet, this is a simple solution to an otherwise tedious process. :yes:

Back