Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrain1983

Reaction score
Hello, I'm adjusting my black IPA recipe. I went with Perle for bittering and Provoak last time around for flavour and aroma. At first the Provoak USA came out nicely but then just became overwhelmed by the Perle with IBUs at over 70.

So, I'm going to change things around, mix it up quite a lot and divide up my brew. I'll keep the grain bill the same and I really liked the Provoak when it came through:

Golden Promise- 71%
Munich: 11%
Carafa Special III- 9%
Caramunich III- 8%

(Doesn't quite add up to 100% because of rounding ha)

Then I'm going to use for both: Azacca (0.7oz) for 20 minutes to add 30 IBU.

Then on flameout I'm going to split my batch and go:

Batch 1:

Mosaic: 0.45 oz flameout for 20 mins at 170 F
Provoak USA: 0.45 oz flameout for 20 mins at 170 F
Azacca, Provoak USA and sweet dry orange peel (unsure on quantities yet) for dry hop.

Batch 2:

Mosaic: 0.45 oz flameout for 20 mins at 170 F
Provoak USA: 0.45 oz flameout for 20 mins at 170 F

HBC 472 and Provoak USA (unsure on quantities yet) for dry hop. Thinking of chucking in some form of red fruit on this one too.

Yeast I'm sticking to WLP 001 for both.

On both my IBUs are coming in quite low but I'm worried about how overpowering the bittering was last time.

Thoughts gratefully received!

What is your batch volume, 5 gallons?
2x 0.5 oz of hops in the hopstand/whirlpool is not much for a split batch (2.5 gallons) of IPA.

0.45 oz flameout for 20 mins at 170 F
This is not clear:
Are you adding the hops at flameout or when the wort has chilled to 170F? That makes a big difference in outcome, bitterness vs. flavor/aroma.

Back